Posted by srailawoffice In Divorce June 7, 2021 0 Comment

Your divorce has been finalized. With the written decree of divorce in your hands, you are ready to finally close that chapter and move on. But what if your ex has other plans?

If your former spouse fails to comply with the final divorce order, regardless if it has been years after the divorce or the divorce was just finalized, it can leave you reeling and bring up feelings of anger and frustration. Not only is what your ex doing totally unfair, it may also be illegal and put your ex-spouse in contempt of court for failing to follow court orders.

So what should you do? Below are some things you should consider:

  • Talk to your ex. Before you take any serious or legal actions, you should first try to talk to your former spouse. In doing so, you may be able to resolve the issue without having to escalate the matter.
  • Review your divorce order. You should also re-read your final divorce decree/order in detail to make sure YOU have continued to remain in compliance with all the provisions. You may need to take certain actions yourself in compliance with the order before formally enforcing anything.
  • Keeps records of everything. You should continue keeping records of anything and everything related to your divorce that may suggest your ex is in breach of the order. This may include evidence of:

– Failure to abide by the child custody arrangement
-Missing child support payments
– Violating property distribution order

  • Talk to an experienced Central Valley divorce attorney. If you are ever uncertain about any steps to take pertaining to your divorce, it is best to immediately talk to an attorney. An experienced Central Valley divorce lawyer can help you evaluate your options and understand your rights. Depending on your circumstances, you may need to appear in court to seek post-judgment enforcement of your divorce order.

It is important to note that your divorce decree is more than just a piece of paper. It is a legally binding document that should be treated as such by both you and your former spouse. If your ex fails to comply with any provisions of the order or divorce rulings, your attorney can help.

Call an Experienced Central Valley Divorce Attorney

If you are experiencing any issues after your divorce has been finalized, it is in your best interest to immediately consult with an experienced divorce attorney to help you learn your legal rights and options, especially with respect to post-divorce issues.

For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with Central Valley divorce attorney Gurjit Srai, please call 209-323-5558, or complete our online form.