California may not have the harsh winters of the East Coast, but the changes in the weather nevertheless make it imperative for drivers to be extra cautious of driving in the winter months.
Below are 5 must follow driving tips for winter in California:
1. Check the Weather for Your Destination
Forecasters can now detect weather patterns and conditions days, and even sometime more than a week, in advance. Exact details of what is predicted for locations across the state can usually be found on your local weather channels. But depending on your exact location and destination, you should check to see what to expect. The top weather forecast sites you can use:
- The Weather Channel
- National Weather Service
2. Check Road Conditions Before You Leave
You can access Caltrans.com and use their tool search bar to see the latest conditions on the roads you will need to travel to get to your destination. You can also get updates by calling 800-427-7623 or listening to Caltrans Highway Advisory Radio. They will also provide you with the frequency to tune into for the locations you will be traveling.
3. Make Sure Your Car Is Ready
Before heading out on the road, especially for a longer trip, you should always make sure your vehicle is in top and safe condition. You should check your brakes, exhaust system, heater, defroster, windshield wipers, and antifreeze. Your tires should be inflated to the appropriate level and the threads should be in good condition. It is also a good idea to have an ice scraper, broom, or commercial deicer if you need to clear your car or if you get snowed in.
4. Pack Proper Supplies in Your Car
In addition to tools for your car, you should also always have other important items in your car, including water, food, extra clothing, warm blankets and a first aid kit. If you get stuck on the road, it is important that you have all the necessary first aid items to survive until help arrives.
5. Drive With Extra Caution
It is a given that you need to always obey the signs of the road and drive safely. However, you should exercise extra caution when you are taking a winter road trip or encounter bad weather. Some important tips to remember include:
- Give yourself plenty of time to arrive to your destination
- Drive at or below the speed limit
- Make sure you are safely belted at all times while in the car, including all other passengers
- Leave extra space between you and any cars ahead of you on the road
- Do not make sudden stops or turn – wet or icy road conditions can cause you to slip
- Observe other vehicles around you and anticipate any sudden moves they may make
- Make sure your windshield is clear at all times
- If you are stuck in the car and trying to stay warm, be careful of exposure to potential carbon monoxide
Contact an Experienced Fresno Accident Attorney
If you or a loved has been injured in an accident caused by the negligence of another party, you should discuss your legal options with an attorney as you may be entitled to compensation.
The Stockton accident attorneys at the Srai Law Offices advocate for their clients’ full financial recovery through hard work and an aggressive approach. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our attorneys, please call (209) 323-5558.