Through the efforts of the progressive movements in California and throughout the United States, same-gender couples now have the opportunity to experience the same rights and benefits as traditional couples. Currently, many states including California, offer same-sex domestic partnership benefits to registered couples.
Benefits of Domestic Partnerships
Domestic partnerships provide many economic and noneconomic benefits comparable to those that married couples have had for decades. In the Central Valley, these benefits are regulated by the state and can be granted and removed at the discretion of the courts. Some common benefits include:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Death benefits
- Work leave related to sickness and bereavement
- Parental leave
- Life and accident insurance
- Tuition reduction and housing rights at universities
- And more
Need for Legal Assistant to Navigate Domestic Partnerships
When courts review a domestic partnership, they will consider various factors. Some basic requirements call for the partners to be unmarried, sharing a common residence, not related by blood, capable of contesting, and of the same gender.
Similar to a traditional marriage or partnership, you will need for legal assistance to properly navigate the processes involved:
- Registering. You must register your domestic partnership with the court to be legal and binding. This may not be a very difficult process, but you will need legal assistance to ensure the process is done correctly. If you fail to properly register, it can result in unnecessary delays and denials.
- Drafting. Similar to a traditional marriage, partnerships often require certain types of documentations, like pre and post nuptial agreements, to ensure the rights of each partner are obeyed and respected. These agreements must be drafted with the necessary legal language in order to be binding.
- Dissolution. Whether contested or not, it is a good idea to be represented by an experienced Central Valley divorce attorney who specifically handles domestic partnerships if you decide to end your partnership. An experienced legal professional understands the process and can help secure a favorable outcome, especially if it involves child support and custody.
Call an Experienced Central Valley Divorce Attorney
If you are in the process of getting a divorce or plan on initiating one, it is important that you have a knowledgeable attorney fighting for your rights. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with a Central Valley divorce attorney, please call Gurjit Srai (209) 323-5558 or complete our online form.