Getting arrested can be a life altering experience both for you and your loved ones. It can turn your entire life upside down. You may not be able to think clearly. Any step that you take or fail to take, or any comments that you make or fail to make, can impact your chances of a good defense and avoiding a conviction. That is why it is important that you remain focused on what needs to be done to protect your legal rights.
Below are the important steps you should take after getting arrested:
- Ask for an attorney. If you have been arrested or are being investigated for a criminal action, you need to immediately ask for an attorney. Talking to the police without the presence of a Central Valley criminal defense attorney can jeopardize your case. It can also affect your ability to avoid a conviction of the charges.
- Do not talk. It is your Fifth Amendment Constitutional right to remain silent. You should invoke this right to “lawyer up” and protect your legal rights.
- Do not resist arrest or attempt to flee. It is never a good idea to fight back with law enforcement or attempt to flee the scene of an arrest. Doing so will only make matters worse. It is best to comply with law enforcement and then ask for a Central Valley criminal defense attorney.
- Be respectful of the police. In order to demand respect from law enforcement, you need to act respectfully toward the arresting police officers.
- Remember the details of your arrest. It is important to remember all the details of your arrest. Every detail can be useful to your attorney in building your defense and possibly avoiding a conviction.
Get Legal Help
It is important to take an arrest seriously. Even if you did not commit the alleged crime, it does not mean that you will automatically be acquitted of the charges. If the police arrested you, it most likely means they have something to base their arrest on. As such, it is important to immediately hire an experienced criminal defense attorney in Central Valley to help prove your innocence and avoid a conviction.
Call an Experienced Los Angeles Assault Defense Attorney
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with criminal defense attorney Gurjit Srai, please call us at (209) 323-5558 or (559) 449-1447, or complete our online form.Please Share This: