Posted by Gurjit Srai In Divorce November 27, 2017 0 Comment

If you’re like most people, a divorce can wreak serious financial havoc in your life. This is especially true if you and your ex-spouse made a habit of sharing your individual incomes or if you are unemployed. As Central Valley divorce attorneys, we have seen many cases that involve the earning spouse withholding money from the financially-strapped spouse. This may be unfair, but it does happen.
So the question becomes what steps you should take to protect yourself if your ex cuts you off and you don’t have enough money to get by.

Discuss Your Financial Situation With Your Lawyer

It is important that your attorney understands your financial circumstances. You need to let your attorney know if you made any financial contributions or other types of contributions while you were married. Without knowing the complete details, your attorney will not be able to protect your rights under California law.
If your spouse was your sole source of financial income, your attorney may bring your divorce proceeding to a screeching halt. Unfortunately, upon divorce, you have to start from scratch with no resources. And that is not an easy thing to do.

Finding Employment While Waiting for Spousal Support

One option your Central Valley divorce attorney may give you is to start looking for a job. This may not be an appealing option, especially if you have been out of the workforce for quite some time. However, if your attorney advises you to look for work, it’s a good idea to do so. Your attorney will not tell you to do something that may jeopardize your case or harm your future. You hired your attorney to protect your legal rights and give you the best advice that he can.

How Your Attorney Can Help

Your divorce attorney will take every step to make sure you successfully request and get the full spousal support that you are entitled to. He may be able to petition the court for spousal support sooner, rather than later. California law requires family law judges to look at several different factors when determining whether a spouse is entitled to spousal support. These factors include:

  • You ability to earn your own money
  • Your standard of living
  • Your ability to pay the bills necessary to survive

If the judge agrees that you are entitled to spousal support, your ex-spouse must start paying up as soon as the judge orders it. If your ex refuses to pay the full spousal support the court ordered, they may face legal consequences.

Call an Experienced Central Valley Divorce Attorney

If you are going through a divorce or are planning to file for divorce in the near future, you need to hire an experienced divorce attorney to help protect your legal rights and make sure this already traumatic experience proceeds as smoothly and painlessly as possible.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with Central Valley divorce attorney Gurjit Srai, please call us at (209) 323-5558 or (559) 449-1447, or complete our online form.