Getting into an accident with a truck can be a very frightening experience. What would be a fender bender with another passenger vehicle, can result in serious injuries or even a fatality when the other vehicle that hit you is a truck.
At the Srai Law Office, our Central Valley truck accident attorneys handle all types of accidents involving trucks in the Central Valley area. We have built a record of success by helping our injured truck accident victims get the maximum damages that they deserve. Hiring the best truck accident attorney also allows you to concentrate on your injuries without having to worry about the legal aspects of your truck accident claim.
Common Causes of Truck Accident
The trucking industry is regulated by Federal rules and laws. Federal regulations allow truckers to driver for a maximum of 11 hours at one stretch of time, although many drivers go well beyond this maximum time frame. Trucking companies generally set strict deadlines that truckers must meet, which in turn forces the truckers to break the law to meet. This often causes a deadly combination of driver fatigue and speed, both leading causes of fatal truck accidents.
Some other common factors that contribute to truck accidents include:
- Driver error – as previously noted, truck driver speeding and fatigue are the major leading causes of truck accidents. Other common types of drier error include:
- Distracted driving
- Poor training
- Failure to obey traffic signals
- Large blind spots
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or other controlled substances
- Vehicle issues – trucks often present a number of safety issues. For instance, a fully loaded truck needs 525 feet of room to come to a full stop. This, along with having to deal with major blind spots, makes trucks inherently dangerous to other passenger vehicles on the road. Some other common truck maintenance issues include:
- Overweight trailers
- Improperly secured loads
- Brake issues
- Tire problems
- Failing to follow the truck’s recommended maintenance schedule
- Weather – inclement weather, such as rain, snow or high winds, can play a major role in a truck accident.
Regardless of what caused the truck accident you were injured in, the legal team at the Srai Law Office will fight to help you get the full compensation from all liable parties.
Types of Trucks and Accidents
When most of us think of a truck accident, we immediately envision big rigs. This is understandable, especially since it is the most commonly featured truck when the news highlights most truck accidents on the news. However, big rigs are not the only trucks that into major accidents. Other types of truck accidents include:
- Tractor Trucks – Also referred to as bobtail trucks, this is the front of the truck (without a load) where the driver is in the cabin. Even without a cargo trailer or flatbed attached, these large vehicles can cause serious injuries in a collision.
- Big Rigs – Big rig is one of several names for a tractor truck with a cargo trailer attached to it. It is common for these types of trucks to burst into flames on impact, causing a serious accident to become even more tragic and even fatal.
- Delivery Trucks – Amazon and other big box retailer deliveries have been a game changer for how we shop. But millions of deliveries also mean thousands of trucks on the roads, resulting in numerous accidents.
- Utility Trucks – Utility trucks come in different sizes, including street cleaning trucks, garbage trucks, postal trucks or even construction trucks. These trucks could be traveling at high speeds, especially if responding to an emergency situation.
What To Do After a Truck Accident
The immediate aftermath of any accident can be hectic, but accidents involving trucks can be even more traumatic for the victims. If you are injured in an accident involving a truck, below is a checklist of action items you should do to protect your legal rights and ensure your safety:
- Get to a safe location, if you are able to do so
- Call 911 immediately
- Request an ambulance, if you or anyone else at the scene has been seriously injured
- Take photos of the scene of accident, including damage to all vehicles involved
- Gather witness statements and their contact information
- Do not talk to anyone representing the trucking company or their insurance carrier
- Do not apologize to anyone for any reason – this will be used against you as proof of fault for the accident (even if it was not your fault!)
You should also contact an experienced Central Valley truck accident attorney who can help you recover compensation for your injuries and other expenses resulting from the accident.
Compensation Available in Central Valley Truck Accident Claims
Injuries resulting from truck accidents are often more serious due to the massive size and weight of trucks striking smaller passenger vehicles. Serious injuries often include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Wrongful death
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones/fractures
- Whiplash injuries
- Cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine injuries
- Back pain, including strain and sprain
- Nerve injuries and damage, numbness, and radiculopathy
- Cuts and lacerations
- Crush injuries
- Scarring and burns
The legal team at the Srai Law Office has the experience to passionately fight to get our injured truck accident clients the full compensation they deserve. Depending on the specific facts of your case, you may be entitled to money damages for:
- Past and future medical bills
- Loss of wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional and mental trauma
- Loss of consortium
- Any out of pocket expenses related to the accident
Call a Central Valley Truck Accident Attorney Today!
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence or recklessness, the legal team at the Srai Law Office is ready to help. Our Central Valley car accident lawyers will do whatever it takes to hold the responsible parties accountable and get you the compensation you deserve.
Please call us at 209-0395-0761 to discuss your case with an expert truck accident attorney or you can fill out our free consultation form.