7A drunk driving charge is a serious charge. It can negatively impact all aspects of your life, especially your reputation. However, getting a DUI in the Central Valley does not have to be the end. It is a charge that defense attorneys routinely beat. You may have various options after your DUI arrest, such as reducing the charges, blocking evidence against you, negotiating a lighter sentence and even walking away free.
In order to protect your legal rights and make sure you get the outcome possible, you need to immediately hire an experienced Central Valley drunk driving defense attorney to handle your case. The legal team at the Srai Law Office understand the complex DUI laws and DMV regulations. DUI attorney Gurjit Singh Srai and his team has defended many individuals across the Central Valley facing drunk driving charges. We will do everything possible to help you avoid a DUI conviction.
What to Expect When Facing a DUI in the Central Valley
Drunk driving is treated as a misdemeanor under California law. But it still carries steep penalties. If you fail to immediately request a hearing with the DMV, your license will be suspended 30 days after your arrest. That is one of the reasons why it is important to consult with an experienced and aggressive DUI attorney as soon as possible.
After you are formally charged, you will face a criminal proceeding. The process starts with an arraignment, during which you will enter your plea. You will then continue to a trial. Depending on the specific facts of your case, your Central Valley DUI defense lawyer may be able to negotiate a favorable outcome for you without going to trial. If you do continue to trial, however, the outcome will be decided by a jury.
If you are convicted on the DUI charges, you will face penalties, including but not limited to:
- Jail time
- Fines and court costs
- Treatment/educational programs
- Suspension of your driver’s license
The penalties vary depending on whether you have previous DUI offenses, whether anyone was injured, and other factors. A smart attorney can help reduce the severity of the penalties even if you are convicted.
Our Central Valley DUI Defense Approach
Our legal DUI defense team does not employ a “one size fits all” approach to our defense strategies. Instead, we approach a DUI defense that is tailored to the unique facts of your case. However, there are some strategies that we commonly use in most of our DUI clients’ cases, such as examining each of the following:
- The probable cause basis for your vehicle stop and arrest
- Whether the arresting officer complied with the California Code under Title 17 during the course of the investigation and collection of the chemical evidence
- Maintenance and calibration records for the breath instrument(s) used, including each instruments’ use log.
- Subpoena arresting officer and/or lab technician for cross-examination at your DMV hearing
- All audio and video recordings from both police vehicle dash and officer body cams
This level of intense investigation and attention to detail is important and necessary in identifying the evidentiary weaknesses which are commonly used in plea negotiations with prosecutors or in a jury trial. Our legal team will also determine whether it is necessary to retest the chemical specimens (i.e. blood and/or urine) through our own toxicology lab.
Defenses to Drunk Driving Charges
Although a drunk driving charge may seem like the end of the world, it is important to know that you have options. There are strategies you can use to get your charges reduced to a lesser offense, negotiate a plea bargain or win your case during trial. With the help of a knowledgeable DUI defense attorney in the Central Valley, you may even be able to successfully fight the charges.
Some possible defenses to drunk driving charges include:
- Alcohol was not the reason for your driving issues
- The “objective signs of intoxication” that the officer observed were due to fatigue, illness, allergies, sun exposure or other factors
- Field sobriety tests don’t accurately measure impairment
- The arresting officer did not have probable cause to make the initial stop
- A lack of evidence
- You did not appear intoxicated during field sobriety tests
- Administrative mistakes related to blood and breath tests
- The police failed to follow proper procedure in your arrest
- Your Constitutional rights were violated
The Importance of Hiring a Central Valley DUI Attorney
A successful drunk driving defense starts early because it is necessary to gather important evidence while it is still available. As such, it is imperative that you immediately hire an attorney after a DUI arrest. The experienced legal team at the Srai Law Office will work hard to protect your legal rights after a DUI arrest. We can help you:
- Obtain a not guilty verdict and dismissal at trial
- Prevent a driver’s license suspension
- Keep you out of jail
- Avoid serious fines and penalties
Since each case is fact specific, we need to work with the details surrounding your DUI arrest to build a tailored defense. Although a dismissal may not be available in every DUI case, our aggressive DUI defense attorneys can at least help reduce the resulting penalties.
Call Us Today!
The Central Valley DUI attorneys at the Srai Law Office provide experienced, quality legal assistance to individuals charged with drunk driving. Everyone deserves the best defense possible, and attorney Gurjit Srai is prepared to fight for you.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our Central Valley DUI lawyers, please call us at (209) 395-0761 or (559) 314-2796, or complete our online form.