Hiring the right divorce attorney in Central Valley can be even more exhausting than the actual divorce process. Before you agree to work with a lawyer, you need to make sure they will be a good fit for you and your case. The following are some important questions you should ask before hiring an attorney about their firm, your case, and the financial implications of divorce.
Ask Questions About the Firm
- How long have you been practicing family law?
There are many firms that hire attorneys who don’t have any real experience in handling family law cases, specifically divorce. It is imperative that you hire a firm with attorneys who have extensive experience and knowledge in handling California divorce cases.
- Can I meet other attorneys or paralegals who will be working on my case?
A divorce process can be quite lengthy, so you need to feel comfortable dealing and communicating with the entire team that may be working on your case. As such, it is important to meet any additional attorneys and/or legal staff who may also be working on your case.
- Can you advise me on how to handle taxes and other financial repercussions from my divorce proceeding?
Your attorney should also have contact information for other professionals, such as a tax attorney or an accountant, to also help you with such financially related questions.
Questions to Ask About Your Case
- Based on the facts of my case, how long do you think it will take to resolve my case? What is your plan for resolving my case and what kind of strategies would you use?
- Can you make any kind of predictions based on what you know of my case? How do you think a Judge would rule on my case?
- Can you advise me on how to handle taxes and other financial repercussions from this divorce?
Questions to Ask About Costs
- What are your hourly rate and the hourly rates for any other legal team members working on my case?
You should also ask if the attorney will be requiring a retainer fee. It is important to realize all the potential costs associated with your divorce proceeding so you can plan ahead.
- Are there any additional charges I should expect?
Your Central Valley divorce attorney may not be able to give you the exact cost of your divorce proceeding, but they should be able to discuss additional charges that may be expected. Additional charges can include private investigators, forensic accountants, physicians, psychologists, and even office expenses such as copies and stamps.
- Is there anything I can do to keep my costs down or reduce the costs?
An attorney can actually save you money, especially when it comes to the financial aspects of your divorce. However, you may be able to keep the attorney costs down by taking some steps yourself, such as speaking directly with your spouse.
Contact an Experienced Central Valley Divorce Attorney
To learn more about the common mistakes to avoid during the divorce process, you should call Central Valley family law attorney Gurjit Srai. Mr. Srai has the knowledge and experience to help you successfully file for divorce.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our family law attorneys, please call us at (209) 323-5558, or complete our online form.