Not all driving offenses are as simple as a traffic violation ticket. When you are facing charges like reckless driving, you could face serious charges that can significantly impact all aspects of your life and even be sentenced to jail time. This can be a very frightening prospect.
The best way to fight a reckless driving charge in California is to hire an experienced reckless driving defense attorney. By placing your trust in a knowledgeable criminal defense attorney, you can be confident that he will devise the best defense to fight the charge.
What To Look For When Fighting a Reckless Driving Charge
In order to successfully fight a reckless driving charge, you and your attorney need to consider the following factors:
- You should look at the charge filed against you to determine the specific law that the officer claims you violated. Your attorney should break the elements of the law down. If your attorney determines that you have not violated every element of the rule of law, it may serve as a defense.
- If you violated the reckless driving law, determine if you had a legal reason for doing so. Certain situations may be grounds for the court to consider a valid reason for violating the law. Some examples include:
- A medical emergency, such as a loved one being in labor and you were driving recklessly while en route to the hospital
- Taking evasive action to avoid a potentially serious accident
- Speeding to get away from a dangerous situation or because you were in fear of your life
Keep in mind that the court or judge may have its own guidelines for determining what constitutes a valid reason for committing the offense of reckless driving. Your reckless driving defense attorney should present your reason in the most favorable manner to increase the likelihood of the court or judge dismissing the charge.
Consequence of Reckless Driving
Hiring an experienced to fight your reckless driving charge is important in order to avoid the serious consequences, which may include:
- Expensive fines, the amount of which typically depends on the circumstances surrounding the offense committed, such as how fast you were speeding.
- Traffic ticket points on your driving record, which could ultimately result in the suspension or revocation of your driving privileges.
- Hike in your insurance premium, which could get very costly depending or even affect your ability to renew your policy.
- Suspension of driver’s license by the department of motor vehicles (DMV)
- Jail time or community service, the duration of which depends on the specific facts of your offense.
Call an Experienced Stockton Reckless Driving Attorney
If you or a loved one is facing reckless driving charges, it is important to seek immediate legal assistance. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with reckless driving defense attorney Gurjit Srai, please call us at (209) 323‐5558 or (559) 449‐1447, or complete our online form.