One of the hardest part of a divorce is trying to figure out how to share custody of your children. For a child, swapping between two parents and two homes can be emotionally draining and difficult. As such, it is important that you and your ex spouse devise a parenting plan that is tailored to your family’s specific needs.
Hiring an experienced and compassionate Central Valley divorce attorney can be invaluable to help guide you through both the divorce process, as well as parenting after divorce.
Helpful Tips To Make the Co-Parenting Transition Easier
Below are some helpful tips to make the transition for your kids after divorce a little easier:
- Having doubles of important items. If it is financially possible, it might be helpful to get doubles of certain essential items for the kids. Not having to pack every weekend or week can help reduce stress and anxiety both for you and your children as they swap between each parent’s house. Some important items you should double up on include:
* Cell phone charger
* Computer or iPad charger
* Underwear, socks, boxers, bras
* “Nice” shoes and clothes
* Running shoes
* Two sets of textbooks
* School supplies
* Toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, razors, face wash, soap, lotion
- Weekly needs. It can understandably be hard for children to remember what they need as they go from one activity to another. Having a spot designated in each household for your child to keep their “weekly things” can also ease the stress. Weekly needs can include:
* Gym bag
* Permission slips for field trips
* Cell phone
Tell people about your divorce. Talking about your divorce can be hard. However, not informing your children’s teachers, coaches, tutors or other important figures in their every day lives can be even harder on your children. Not telling people about your divorce means your children having to constantly explain the situation. Taking the burden of informing others on yourself will allow your kids not to feel as burdened by having to constantly make excuses.
Call an Experienced Central Valley Family Law Attorney
If you are involved in a divorce proceeding or planning to file for divorce, it is in your best interest to consult with an experienced family law attorney to help you learn your legal rights and options with respect to the division of your assets.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with Central Valley family law attorney Gurjit Srai, please call (209) 323-5558 or (559) 449-1447, or complete our online form.