When you drive a truck for a living, you are on the road constantly. California treats the safety of all drivers on the road with utmost importance by placing strict enforcement of all applicable laws in the state, leaving little margin for error for commercial drivers. Unfortunately, even the best truck drivers can make mistakes from time to time. However, since so much is at stake and because commercial driving laws are so stringent, the consequences can be costly. This is why you need to hire an experienced and aggressive Central Valley CDL defense attorney to fight your ticket and help you avoid losing your commercial drivers license (CDL).
Although it is best to hire an attorney to answer your questions and guide you through the process, below are answers to some frequently asked questions:
– How much is a CDL speeding ticket in California?
Truck drivers are held to a stricter standard because of there is an absolute limit of 55-mph on their speed and it takes longer to slow down and stop when speeding in a truck. Below is a brief interview of ticket fines:
- 1-15 mph over the limit is a $230-250 fine
- 16-25 mph over is a $360-380
- More than 26 mph is $490-500
– How do you get a CDL traffic ticket dismissed?
There are basically three ways to get your CDL traffic ticket dismissed:
- Plead guilty and pay the fine.
- Pay to go to traffic school (as long as you are eligible to go to traffic school). On September 13, 2012, California Governor Jerry Brown signed into law AB 1888, which allows drivers with a commercial drivers license (CDL) to attend traffic school for minor violations that occurred in their personal vehicles.
- Provide proof of correction if you got a traffic ticket for “Correctible Violation,” which is something you can fix, like broken equipment.
– How many points can a CDL driver have in California?
Drivers who receive six points in a 12-month period, eight points in a 24-month period, or ten points in a 36-month period will have their CDL suspended for up to one year. Some of the more severe offenses, such as DUI, can even result in losing your license for life.
– Can a Lawyer Help Me Defend My CDL License?
When you are faced with a traffic ticket as a commercial driver, it is imperative that you immediately hire an experienced Central Valley CDL defense attorney. Losing your commercial license can significantly impact your financial livelihood.
Call an Experienced Central Valley CDL Defense Attorney
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with CDL traffic violation attorney Gurjit Srai, please call us at (209) 323-5558.