You may have heard the term no-fault divorce and wondered about its definition. They basically require that the parties have decide to refrain from citing specific differences to end their marriage. Uncontested divorces fall under the auspices of no-fault divorce claims, which initially started in California. One question remains. Do you need a lawyer for an Uncontested Divorce?
What is an Uncontested Divorce?
At the SRAI Law Office, we represent clients whose pursuit of the dissolution of their marriage may vary in nature and character. Some are embroiled in highly intense arguments that become emotionally devastating. Others have reconciled with the fact that their divorce is imminent are ready to proceed further without animosity.
The California courts offer the following conditions of an uncontested divorce:
- One of the parties must file a summons and petition for divorce;
- The spouse or domestic partner must file a response to the summons and petition;
- The parties must have a written agreement, which spells out a division of property and debt, child custody and visitation and support issues
The Danger of an Uncontested Divorce
Although it might seem somewhat easy and inexpensive to handle an uncontested divorce without legal counsel, there are some concerns. We are not suggesting that you need engage in warfare with your soon to be ex-spouse. However, have you considered the following:
- Division of Assets: Do you really understand the value of your property? Is it possible that there are hidden assets? Our office can help make this determination.
- Division of Retirement Funds: It may seem inconsequential, but you may be entitled to pension or 401K monies. Many couples overlook this important asset when pursuing an uncontested divorce on their own.
- Spousal Support: Although you might think you can make it on your own, you may be entitled to money from your former spouse. The length of time may vary based on your circumstances. Why sacrifice your quality of life because you were ignorant of your entitlement?
- Custody and Visitation: To many, it is undisputable that children are the most important asset arising from a marital union. Make sure that you have sufficiently protected moneys that will contribute to their well-being. In addition, an attorney can help you set up a workable parenting schedule.
How We Work with Uncontested Divorce Cases
There is a common fear that enlisting the assistance of an attorney will cause further unnecessary conflict between the parties. Gurjit Srai is active in the San Joaquin and Fresno County areas. His intention is to bring economic solutions to his neighbors. Srai Law Offices are committed to providing professional and fair legal services. Contact us for advice concerning your uncontested or contested divorce.
In reviewing family law cases, Srai Law Office listens to its clients and their prospective resolutions. If you are involved in a divorce, it is crucial that you secure competent legal advice. Contact our office to discuss the particulars of your matter.