Posted by srailawoffice In Child Support September 18, 2020 0 Comment

Child support payments are mandated under California state law. The California Child Support Services is the agency responsible in the state for child support enforcement. Each county has an office that enforces cases in their jurisdiction. Child support payments can be made online, by phone, or through mail.

However, some situations may arise that may prevent parents from making child support payments. Failing to properly address this and simply failing to pay can result in serious consequences under the law.

What Happens If I Don’t Pay Child Support?

If you do not pay court-ordered child support, it results in serious penalties. The court may do several things to bring child support payments current, including:

  • Withhold your wages
  • Take your refund on state or federal taxes
  • Garnish unemployment wages
  • Minimize state disability benefits
  • Get part of workers’ compensation benefits you are receiving
  • Suspend your driver’s license
  • Deny you a passport
  • Charge you with a misdemeanor if you have the means to pay but fail to do so.

How to Recover Child Support in California

Child support orders are legally mandated under California law. As the custodial parent, you can legally mandate the other parent to pay you what was declared by the order. However, collecting child support payments that are owed to you from the non-paying parent may be more difficult than it seems.

You can do two things to start the process. One, you can contact the non-paying parent and ask them why they are late in making the required payments. There may be some good reason or they may have even forgotten. This option is only viable if you are on good terms with that parent. If not, the second option is to contact the local Child Support Service office. They will send the non-paying parent several notices to remind them to pay. If they still refuse to do so, the office or a Central Valley Child Support attorney can help you find other ways to help collect payment.

Call an Experienced Central Valley Child Support Attorney

If you are involved in a child support proceeding, it is in your best interest to consult with an experienced child support attorney to help you learn your legal rights and options with respect to the division of your assets.

For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with California family law attorney Gurjit Srai, please call (209) 323-5558, or complete our online form.