Posted by Gurjit Srai In Child Support January 22, 2018 0 Comment

You and your former spouse were not able to resolve your differences during the divorce process about child support. In the end, the judge ordered you to supply financial support for your children. You were expecting this and never wanted to shy away from supporting your children.

However, now some years later, you have experienced a change in your life and continuing that the child support payment is not as easy it once was. Can you do anything to reduce your obligation?

The short answer is that under the right circumstances, it may be possible to adjust a child support order. This article discusses how you may be able to adjust child support payments.

Communicating the Need for Adjustment

You can attempt to adjust a child support order in one of two ways. The first way is to negotiate a new agreement with your former spouse. You will then need to submit the mutually proposed changes to the court for approval. If you and your ex-spouse are unable to come to terms or unable to peacefully communicate, the second option is to go to court.

Seeking an Official Modification In Court

If you and your former spouse are not able to get anywhere with the changes to the child support order, you have to file an official modification request in court. However, it should be noted that judges do simply grant changes to child support orders. You will need to provide convincing reason and support for the requested changes.

Some approved reasons for modifying a support order include:

  • Income change
  • Loss of employment
  • Facing jail or prison time
  • Parenting time adjustment
  • Child’s needs have changed

This is not an exhaustive list of reasons. The bottom line is that unless the court’s original child support order was less than the standard guideline amount, you must have experienced some life-changing event in order to successfully request a modification to the order. For a greater likelihood of filing a successful modification request, it is best to consult with an experienced Central Valley family law attorney.

Help Figuring It Out

Figuring out child custody and child support can be complicated and difficult. The calculations are often tricky and your former spouse may be pushing for you to pay an amount that is not financially feasible. Having an attorney on your side to protect your rights can be beneficial. An experienced attorney can explain to the court your situation in a way that the judge may better understand.

Call an Experienced Stockton Family Law Attorney

For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with Central Valley family law attorney Gurjit Srai, please call (209) 323-5558 or (559) 449-1447, or complete our online form.