There are many important decisions and actions that you make or fail to make that can impact the outcome of your personal injury claim. The most effective way to avoid costly mistakes is to know what they are before you make them.
10 Mistakes to Avoid in an Accident Claim
Below are 10 most common mistakes that every personal injury claimant should avoid in order to successfully get the maximum compensation they deserve.
- Don’t ignore the accident scene. Failure to get all of the necessary information at the site of the accident (i.e. names, address, telephone numbers of the parties involved, insurance information, etc.).
- Don’t forget photos. It is important to document the scene of the accident with photos or video if you can. You should especially focus on important evidence that contributed to the accident.
- Don’t decline or delay medical care. Delay in seeing a doctor for your injuries, even if your injuries seem to be minor at the time of the accident.
- Don’t claim unrelated injuries. Claiming injuries that cannot be documented by medical evidence or concealing prior injuries. If your credibility is damaged, your case is severely compromised.
- Not disclosing prior accidents, injuries or medical conditions. Your treating physicians and Stockton personal injury lawyer need to have all such past information to help make the best decisions involving your case.
- Failing to document. Not keeping accurate documentation of your personal injuries, medical bills, and other relevant documents applicable to your claim.
- Prematurely accepting a settlement. Once you accept a settlement offer from the insurance company, your case is over. You cannot later seek more compensation. You should make sure you have realized the full extent of your injuries before accepting a settlement.
- Giving a recorded statement with your attorney present. If you give a recorded statement to any insurance company without your attorney present, it could negatively impact the value and outcome of your case.
- Forgetting about the accident report. You need to report the accident and then follow up to get a copy of the report.
- Failing to immediately contact a lawyer. If you are seriously injured in an accident, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible to protect your legal rights and ensure you get the full money damages you deserve.
Insurance companies may take every opportunity to deny or reduce the value of a personal injury claim. Do not give the adjusters any reasons to do this. Hire a Stockton personal injury lawyer as soon as possible to avoid making a costly mistake.
Consult with a Stockton Personal Injury Attorney
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury in an accident that was caused by the negligent or reckless act of a third party, you may be entitled to monetary compensation. For more information or to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Stockton personal injury attorney, call the Srai Law Offices today at (209) 323-5558.