Finding “the one” is a romantic process that usually ends up with a dreamy proposal and a fairy tale wedding. However, as nice as all of this may sound, for some it is only a fairy tale with an unhappy ending. About 40 to 50 percent of married couples in the United States divorce. The divorce rate for subsequent marriages is even higher.
If you are part of the majority of Americans whose fairy tale marriage has ended in a divorce, you may be deciding whether you need to spend money to hire a divorce attorney. While some may think hiring an attorney is a waste of money, the truth is that it can actually end up saving you money in the end. This article discusses the important reasons why you should hire an attorney to assist you during your divorce proceeding.
Factors To Consider When Deciding Whether To Hire a Divorce Attorney
If you are still deciding whether you should hire a divorce attorney, you should consider the following five factors:
- Liabilities. Many Americans simply do not fully understand their liabilities. An attorney who specializes in divorces can explain your liabilities and how they relate to your divorce proceeding.
- Assets. During the dissolution of a marriage, the court has the power to freeze any asset that is considered marital property (property that is acquired during the marriage). This can be very important because it may ultimately prevent your spouse from moving or selling the valuable assets that may belong half to you. An experienced divorce attorney can make sure that all assets remain in the marriage until they are fairly reallocated to the parties.
- Empathy. Divorce can be a traumatic experience. The empathy from a compassionate attorney can be invaluable. The good advice that your divorce lawyer will give you may not only protect your financial security, but also your personal interests – especially relating to child support and custody.
- Children. Your children are most likely the most important factor you should consider in your divorce proceeding. An experienced attorney can explain the different types of custody agreements available and help you decide which one is best suited for your specific needs.
- Complications. Divorce can be complicated. This process often involves many intricacies that take legal professionals a number of years to understand and implement. Without a knowledgeable attorney on your side, you may be overwhelmed and overpowered during your divorce.
Call an Experienced Fresno Divorce Attorney
If you are going through a divorce or are planning to file for divorce in the near future, you should definitely hire an experienced divorce attorney to help protect your legal rights and make sure this already traumatic experience proceeds as smoothly and painlessly as possible.